As parents get ready for back to school and we trade in beach days for cozy blankets, we are all back to routines and back to all those appointments we can tend to neglect over the summer. We have better (more fun) things to do right?
If you’re new to town or simply looking for a new Dentist for either yourself and/or your family members, here are some things to look for:
- Ask to meet him/her. Most Dentist who are invested in building a long term relationship will be willing to meet you for a consultation to get to know you and your needs/the needs of your family.
- Take a look around the office when you go in for your consultation. Does it appear tidy? Are there current magazines available in the waiting room? Are there things to entertain your young children with? How does the staff interact with you?
- Ask for other services the Dentist provides, websites will tell you some of this but often won’t include ALL the services the practice offers.
- What type of payment programs do they offer? How do they work with your insurance company?
- If you know you or a family member will require some major dental work in the near future, this is a good time to ask for quotes on cost or if you’re busy juggling life, time is likely very important to you, how long will this procedure take, will it require to be completed over multiple visits?
- If you or a family member are nervous about dental visits, inquire into sedation options and potential side effects with medical sedation options.
- And lastly, what kind of chair side manner does this Dentist have? Does he/she take the time to explain procedures to you, show you x-rays and talk through them with you? Is a pleasant personality important to you? What about a sense of humour?
When you think about how important this relationship is to you and your family, it’s worth the extra investigation!